Ayurvedic treatment for anti aging consists of 12 natural herbs which are used in various permutations and combinations. These are prepared as herbal tonics, decoctions, food supplements and other forms for internal consumption.
External applications include lotions, creams, shampoos and other forms. Ayurveda experts recommend using both the forms to get maximum benefits. The twelve forms of herbs are gooseberry (fruit, leaves, stem and root), ginger, turmeric, frankincense, clove, Vitis, rosemary, neem, licorice, andrographis and pomegranate.
In this article you can read about some of the important characteristics of these herbs and recipes for prolonging skin aging. If your skin is allergic to any of the ingredients you need to consult your doctor/ dermatologist before using them.
Anti Aging Ayurvedic Tips
- Gooseberry works as an antioxidant. It has the ability to eliminate the toxic substances from the internal organs that are directly connected with your skin. For example large intestine, liver, pancreas and kidneys’ health can affect your skin’s hydration, oil level, immunity and brightness. Drinking gooseberry juice with honey can cleanse these internal organs, keeping your skin in good health condition. Gooseberry has skin vitalizing character. It helps in generation of collagen cells which enhance your skin’s elasticity and tightness.
- Skin pigmentation is one of the problems resulting from exposure to sun’s UV rays. One of the biggest paradoxes of sunlight is that it is good for your skin as well as it can cause skin problems. Early morning exposure to sunlight can provide vitamins and energizing ingredients to your skin. It disinfects, activates and brightens your skin cells. The same sunlight can cause severe burns, acne, inflammations, bumps dark spots and other disorders during day time (roughly between 9:30 and 17:00). Dark pigmentation due to increased melanin production is another negative effect caused by sun. Gooseberry helps in reduction of melanin in the skin layers, leading to fairness.
Ginger is extensively used in many of the Asian food recipes in the form of ginger garlic paste. It helps in reducing blemishes, skin inflammation, acne, redness, irritation, dryness and dark spots. It can eliminate many of the bacteria which cause skin allergies and infections. It is responsible for causing hypo-pigmentation (reduction of melanin) naturally in your skin layers.
Turmeric is an antioxidant, antiseptic, skin nourishing, anti aging and anti infectious element. Turmeric roots are used by women in India to prepare skin beautifying paste. It is normally used with sandalwood paste and applied all over the skin from forehead to toe.
When it is used with sugar or sea salt it acts as a good hair remover. It energizes the skin cells and enhances skin tightness. Skin glow increases when you regularly use turmeric with honey, lemon syrup and essential oils.
It helps in elimination of acne and other infection causing bacteria, reduction of pigments, healing of skin cracks, balancing oil content and reducing wrinkles to considerable extent.
- Frankincense is recommended by dermatologists as complexion enhancing element. When it is used in micro quantities with carriers like jojoba oil it can penetrate into the deeper layers of your skin and enhance the production of collagen. It removes the dullness causing elements from skin cells and increases its brightness. It is used only in quantities of 0.5ml to 1 ml in most of the skin care and beautification recipes. Excess quantity can be toxic to your skin.
- Frankincense can help in removal of stress from skin cells and tissues. You need to add about 1 or 2ml of frankincense oil with ½ cup of rosemary essential oil and mix with warm bathtub water. Relaxing your body in it for about 1 hour can take out the stress factors from your skin.
- Frankincense is highly antiseptic in nature. It can eliminate many bacteria and viruses when used with lemon syrup.
- It reduces skin wrinkles, lines and other skin aging contributors.
- It helps in quick healing of scars, wounds and stretch marks.
- It is used for reducing skin inflammations caused from burns, sun and skin infections. It has the capacity to penetrate deep into the skin layers and heal the roots of infections and their symptoms.
Clove is a good pain and irritation reliever. It is used in toothpastes, skin creams, lotions and tonics as an antiseptic and cleanser.
Clove oil is used with Aloe Vera liquid for skin layer cleaning. It can remove the remnants of dirt, sweat and other infectious elements from your skin layers.
Clove oil also acts as a recipe vitalizing element. That means it helps in increasing the effectiveness of other ingredients used for skin care and beautification.
Vitis is a high antioxidant which is effectively used to treat skin diseases like psoriasis, eczema and may forms of skin allergies induced by chemicals, fumes, pollution and other toxic elements. It is used in combination with Indian ginseng to heal the symptoms of Herpes type 1 and 2.
Rosemary has the characteristics of skin healer, toner, brightener and beautifier. It works at its best when used in combination with the other herbs listed above. It has the ability to remove the excess of oil deposits from skin pores. It can go deeper into the skin layers and oxygenate them.
Neem is an antiseptic, antioxidant and anti aging herb. Neem sticks are used for brushing teeth in many parts of India even today. Add one or two teaspoons of Neem leaves extract to water and wash your skin. Having a Neem tree in your garden can purify the air around it due to its high medicinal properties.
Licorice has the characteristics for protecting your skin from UV radiations, infections and pollution. It enhances the immunity levels in your skin naturally.
Andrographis is highly effective against wrinkles, lines and other aging factors. It is highly effective when used with Neem and gooseberry.
Pomegranate is a skin brightener, collagen generator, healer, beautifier and nourishing ingredient. It has the ability to enhance the growth of collagen in bone marrow regions.